The Flying Squad
The WWF Flying Squad
Established in 2004, the Flying Squad is a joint operation of WWF-Indonesia and the Conservation Authority of Riau. The Squad covers Lubuk Kembang Bunga village on the northern border of Tesso Nilo National Park. Its mission is to:
- reduce damage to communities by pushing wild elephants back into the forest
- teach communities how to mitigate conflict
- Instill a sense of security in the communities to give them confidence that they can protect their farms without killing elephants
- monitor illegal activities in the park
- Provide employment and decent living conditions to captive conflict elephants
News & Articles
Fecal DNA-Based Elephant Survey Commenced in Tesso Nilo
The actual number of elephant in this habitat block has never been estimated with rigorous ...
It’s a Mahout Love Story
Oleh Annisa Ruzuar Great news’s coming from Riau. Last Sunday (12/2) two of Flying Squad team ...
Standard Operating Procedure for Flying Squad socialized
By: Syamsidar Pekanbaru (29/03)-On 29 March 2010, Standard Operating Procedure for Flying Squad ...
Flying Squad Team succeeded in saving an elephant calf
An elephant calf that was trapped with a leg hole snare used to trap pig was successfully cured and ...
Flying Squad Team Calm the Anxiety in Palm Oil Plantation
Flying Squad Team's reliability in overcoming conflict between elephant and human has been ...
Flying Squad Team Handled Elephants Attack with Canon and Good Understanding
After three day struggle, WWF's Flying Squad team succeeded to handle elephants' herd attack in ...